Training Manager – HEIST, Ukraine
Founded in 2011, the International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) is an international non-governmental organisation that supports humanitarian aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts. INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services, including real-time incident tracking, analytical reports, safety-related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff orientations and training.
INSO provides daily support to more than 1000 NGOs operating in 16 of the world’s most insecure countries.
INSO is headquartered in The Hague, Netherlands- the international city of peace and justice.
INSO Ukraine opened in 2015. Since the escalation of conflict in February 2022, it has rapidly expanded to a full platform serving the needs of NGOs in a fast-evolving conflict. Currently, 200 national and international NGOs receive INSO services. We have offices in in Kyiv, Lviv, Dnipro, and Odesa. As part of INSO Ukraine, you will play a key role in developing impactful services for humanitarian safety and helping aid to reach people in need.
INSO is now seeking an experienced professional to join our team as Training Manager – HEIST for Ukraine.
During 2023, INSO will establish an Humanitarian Training Centre (HTC) in Western Ukraine. In this centre INSO will run Hostile Environment Individual Safety Training (HEIST) courses for humanitarian workers. We have significant experience running HEIST in several countries. As Training Manager – HEIST, you will tailor the course to the context, implement and facilitate it with an INSO team and actors. You will manage a team of seven and report to the HTC Manager, while working in close collaboration with INSO Global Training Team.
INSO seeks an experienced training manager with humanitarian experience and great facilitation skills.
This position is pending donor funding. The anticipated work location will be Lviv.
HEIST Course Leader
- Adapt the INSO HEIST course to the context requirements and implement lessons learned. Involve internal and external experts as much as needed.
- Integrate INSO expertise on Personal safety training into the course, contribute to global and Ukraine-based research on the topic.
- Train the local team, prepare the actors and coordinate with other support providers to deliver the four-day sessions.
- (Co-)Facilitate modules during the course.
- Identify a venue, logistics and human resources required to implement the training.
- Handle the course logistics with support of the Operations Team.
- Plan and organise training sessions.
- Communicate with INSO partners about the trainings.
- Generate acceptance of the course.
- Improve training materials and methods continuously.
- Contribute to a Training Needs Assessment in coordination with the Training Team.
- Contribute to MEAL and donor reporting.
- Directly supervise the 4 Training Officers (2 generalists, one medical, one psychologist) and 3 Training Assistants (participant outreach + course logistics).
- Manage HEIST team in accordance with INSO policies and performance evaluation standards.
- Responsible for the safety and security management of the training sessions.
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant work experience.
- Fluency in English required, Ukrainian and/or Russian desired.
- Minimum 2 years of relevant work experience in the humanitarian sector.
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience in adult learning.
- Work experience in conflict affected environments.
- Well-developed networking, organizational and team management skills.
- Demonstrated understanding of humanitarian principles and practices, including NGO approaches to security.
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and values.
- Excellent communication, organisational and managerial skills.
Nice to Have:
- Recent experience in Ukraine.
- Ability to excel in a multicultural work environment.
- Independent drive and ability to operate and sustainably manage staff and teams under strict systems and deadlines.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently unsupervised.
- Strong work ethic and capacity to take responsibility for their own actions.
- Be able to work under pressure.
- Confidentiality, integrity, and a sense of conflict-of-interest prevention.
Terms & Conditions
12-month contract, €4550 per month salary, 4 calendar days annual leave per month and 3 days of R&R every 3 months with a €250 allowance each R&R cycle, in-country housing provided, global medical insurance and $200,000 AD&D coverage.
INSO’s Safeguarding Policy
INSO is fully committed to safe recruitment, selection and vetting of all potential new staff, trustees and volunteers and we will ensure rigorous compliance with our Code of Conduct and Safeguarding policy throughout the recruitment process.
How to Apply
Please click on this link to submit your application: APPLY.
Applications should be in English; you will need to upload:
- An updated CV.
- A one-page cover letter detailing why you are interested in working for INSO and how your qualifications align specifically with the competencies required for the role.
Thank you for your interest in INSO.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted after the closing date.
Tell us a little about yourself
Information provided in this form will only be used to understand our audience and improve our website.