Senior Operations Manager – HQ
An international NGO dedicated to humanitarian safety, INSO provides information, analysis, coordination, training, and other support services to aid agencies working in insecure and fragile contexts.
Working with more than 1,000 local and international NGOs across 16 conflict affected countries, our projects support the safety of aid workers and help protect the vital relief they deliver to vulnerable communities.
To support our mission, we are now seeking an experienced individual to join our HQ operations department as the Senior Operations Manager (SOM)
As the Senior Operations Manager, you will be the HQ focal point for field-based operational support activities and play a vital role in the effective delivery of our mission and aid workers safety. You will work across a variety of areas including logistics & procurement, facilities management, communications, transport and services.
You will be a member of the Operations Department, working alongside the Global Security & Risk Manager and IT Manager and will report to the Director of Operational Support. You will also serve as a technical referent to 16 field-based Operations Managers. This post is based in the Hague, Netherlands but will require travel to INSO field sites- up to 20% of the time.
You will oversee the full scope of field support services and be a strong component of team mentorship and capacity building. You should be an operations or support services generalist with experience delivering in complex, multi-site environments.
Towards the country offices:
- Serve as a Technical Referent to the global team of Operations Managers for logistics, procurement, facility, fleet, communications, registrations, assets, etc.
- Co-lead the recruitment and deployment of Operations Managers and ensure effective orientation and training, including on-site reviews and mentoring.
- Guide Operations Managers to understand and apply internal policy and external regulations.
- Supervise the application and monitoring of internal controls; including regular reporting on risk management, compliance and audit follow up.
- Connect and communicate to facilitate a lively community of practice that builds skills and team spirit.
At the HQ:
- Support and facilitate the Human Resources (HR) Department to supervise and monitor Operations Managers on their HR responsibilities
- Provide a responsive business partner for field programs needs such as international procurements & shipping, vendor checks (sanctions lists), third party contracting, etc.
- Monitor and ensure the follow up of Internal Audit findings in field operations.
- Manage shared field reporting tools including the asset register, PR tracker, registration reports and SharePoint sites.
- Maintain up-to-date supplier and vendor lists for field assets and services such as vehicles, communication equipment, first aid and safety, etc.
- Provide up-to-date awareness of relevant donor regulations and best practices.
We prefer a support generalist rather than a specialist.
- Minimum 8 years of international humanitarian aid experience.
- Minimum 3 years in a senior NGO support role managing complex multi-site, international operations with demonstrable experience across mission start-up and support in high-risk contexts.
- Experience working within major donor guidelines: ECHO, BHA, FCDO, SDC, etc.
- Experience with implementing organisational policy and procedures.
- Strong organisational, prioritization and communication skills.
- Robust problem-solving skills.
- A degree in a relevant field such as management, organisational development, business administration or a technical field.
- Work experience in any of the countries/regions we work and willingness to travel to INSO field sites.
- Fluent in English
- Willingness to relocate to our HQ in The Hague, Netherlands.
Nice to Have:
- Fluent in French.
- Prior knowledge of INSO
INSO’s Safeguarding Policy
INSO is fully committed to safe recruitment, selection and vetting of all potential new staff, trustees and volunteers and we will ensure rigorous compliance with our Code of Conduct and Safeguarding policy throughout the recruitment process.
Terms & Conditions
Fixed-term (renewable), full-time contract based in The Hague, Netherlands, €5,750 EUR gross per month gross salary, 8% vacation pay (vakantiegeld), 2.5 days annual leave per month. This post is eligible for Highly Skilled Migrant visa sponsorship and a relocation allowance.
How to apply:
Please send the following to email@example.com and reference “SOM” in the subject line of the email:
- An up-to-date CV.
- A cover letter explaining your motivation and interest in the position. Please explain how you meet the minimum requirements of the role.
Please do not send any additional information. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Tell us a little about yourself
Information provided in this form will only be used to understand our audience and improve our website.