Safety Advisor – South, Syria (Lebanese nationals only)
Founded in 2011, the International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) is an international non-governmental organisation that supports humanitarian aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts. INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services, including real-time incident tracking, analytical reports, safety-related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff orientations and training.
INSO provides daily support to more than 1000 NGOs operating in 16 of the world’s most insecure countries.
INSO is registered in the Netherlands with its headquarters based in The Hague, the international city of peace and justice.
The Syria program supports more than 215 NGOs to deliver vitally needed aid and assistance to an estimated 13.1 million people in need across the country. First launched as an emergency response operation in 2014, INSO Syria has grown to become a regional program with a presence in all Syria response hubs and the country office in Amman, Jordan.
The Syria conflict is unique and complex; you will find that every day is different and there is always more to learn.
As Safety Advisor – South, you will serve as a regional analyst and subject matter expert on regional dynamics, trends, and developments in south and central Syria as well as represents INSO as the primary focal point for the humanitarian community in the region. This position is based in Beirut, Lebanon and reports to the Deputy Director. This position is only open to Lebanese nationals.
Safety Advisors work in and manage close-knit and professional teams in providing high quality services to our NGO partners. The position requires strong interpersonal and communication skills, networking, report writing, presentation skills and commitment to the team and our partners.
- Manage a small office team, including supervision of national staff and oversight of local logistics and administration.
- Establish and maintain an active information network, which includes NGOs, the UN, and other key actors to obtain credible and relevant safety information.
- Provide NGOs with timely and credible security information and in-depth, nuanced contextual analysis through; daily flash alerts, weekly incident lists and bi-weekly analytical reports.
- Support other Safety Advisors in their daily tasks, especially at times of high work volume or in their absence.
- Assist NGOs in developing their own security management capacities by reviewing policy documents, conducting site-security surveys, and assisting in crisis evacuation plans.
- Facilitate and lead regular NGO community security roundtables, presenting trends and facilitating discussions.
- Effectively represent, promote and protect INSO’s mandate of independence, impartiality and neutrality.
- Lebanese Nationals Only
- Fluency in English (written and spoken).
- Relevant graduate level education or equivalent work experience.
- Significant experience living or working in insecure/conflict-affected environments.
- Outstanding writing and analytical skills
- Demonstrable understanding of humanitarian safety and access practices & principles and their application.
- Ability to adapt to multi-cultural and diverse social backgrounds.
- Understanding of and commitment to the humanitarian principles of independence, impartiality and neutrality.
- Minimum of (1) year’s recent experience working on Syria – ideally in an NGO safety or analytical role or equivalent – and demonstrable understanding of the context.
- Experience with NGO security and/or project management.
- Existing information networks.
Key Personal Competencies:
- Excellent analyst
- Team player
- Strong interpersonal skills
- A good listener
- An effective communicator
- A proactive thinker
INSO’s Safeguarding Policy
INSO is fully committed to safe recruitment, selection and vetting of all potential new staff, trustees and volunteers and we will ensure rigorous compliance with our Code of Conduct and Safeguarding policy throughout the recruitment process.
Terms & Conditions:
12-month renewable. USD $3,400 per month salary, 1.75 calendar days annual leave per month, private health insurance coverage and AD&D insurance.
How to apply
Please submit completed applications to email@example.com and reference “SA South” in the subject line. Applications should be in English and include:
- An updated CV (maximum 3 pages).
- A one-page cover letter detailing why you are interested in working for INSO and how your qualifications align specifically with the competencies required for the role.
Please do not send any additional information. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Tell us a little about yourself
Information provided in this form will only be used to understand our audience and improve our website.