Safety Advisor – Palestine
Founded in 2011, the International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) is an international non-governmental organisation that supports humanitarian aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts. INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services, including real-time incident tracking, analytical reports, safety-related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff orientations and training.
INSO provides daily support to more than 1200 NGOs operating in 16 of the world’s most insecure countries. INSO is headquartered in The Hague, Netherlands- the international city of peace and justice.
The INSO Palestine platform is launching in response to the ongoing crisis in the Occupied Palestinian Territories (oPT). Based in Amman, Jordan, this new programme will support NGOs providing much-needed humanitarian assistance amid a complex safety and access environment. The team will harness data and insights to provide timely analysis and coordination services to assist humanitarians navigating significant risks to staff and beneficiaries. As part of the INSO Palestine team, you will be playing an active and impactful role in assisting the delivery of aid to people in significant need.
As a Safety Advisor based in Amman, Jordan, you will serve as INSO’s primary representative supporting a dynamic humanitarian community responding to need in oPT. Safety Advisors work on teams providing high quality services to NGOs. You will need strong interpersonal and communication skills, networking, report writing and presentation skills. This post is based in Amman, Jordan and reports to INSO’s Senior Analyst. This is a 3 month contract with the intention to extend this role pending funding. We are looking for a start date as soon as possible.
- Establish and maintain an active information network, which includes NGOs, the UN, and other key actors to obtain credible and relevant safety information.
- Provide NGOs with timely and credible security information and in-depth, nuanced contextual analysis.
- Assist NGOs in developing their own security management capacities.
- Facilitate and lead regular NGO community security roundtables, presenting trends and facilitating discussions.
- Effectively represent, promote and protect INSO’s mandate of independence, impartiality and neutrality.
- Fluency in English.
- Relevant graduate level education or equivalent work experience.
- Outstanding writing and analytical skills
- Demonstrable understanding of humanitarian safety and access practices & principles and their application.
- Ability to adapt to multi-cultural and diverse social backgrounds.
- Understanding and commitment to the humanitarian principles of independence, impartiality and neutrality.
Nice to have
- Recent experience working on Palestine and the wider context – ideally in an NGO safety or analytical role or equivalent – and demonstrable understanding of the context.
- Experience with NGO security and/or project management.
- Existing information networks.
- Arabic language skills.
Key Personal Competencies
- Excellent analyst
- Team player
- Strong interpersonal skills
- A good listener
- An effective communicator
- A proactive thinker
INSO’s Safeguarding Policy
INSO is fully committed to safe recruitment, selection and vetting of all potential new staff, trustees and volunteers and we will ensure rigorous compliance with our Code of Conduct and Safeguarding policy throughout the recruitment process.
Terms & Conditions
Three month fixed-term (renewable) full-time contract based in Amman, Jordan. This position is open to national and expatriate candidates.
How to apply
Please submit applications to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference ‘SA Palestine’ in the subject line. Applications should be in English and include:
- An updated CV.
- A one-page cover letter detailing why you are interested in working for INSO and how your qualifications align specifically with the competencies required for the role.
Please do not send any additional information. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Tell us a little about yourself
Information provided in this form will only be used to understand our audience and improve our website.