Safety Advisor – North, Syria
Founded in 2011, the International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) is an international non-governmental organisation that supports humanitarian aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts. INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services, including real-time incident tracking, analytical reports, safety-related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff orientations and training.
INSO provides daily support to more than 1000 NGOs operating in 16 of the world’s most insecure countries. INSO is headquartered in The Hague, Netherlands- the international city of peace and justice.
The INSO Syria platform supports more than 200 NGOs to deliver aid and assistance to an estimated 13.1 million people in need across the country. First launched as an emergency response operation in 2014, INSO Syria has grown to have a region-wide presence with offices in Turkey, Lebanon, Iraq, North-East Syria and the Country Office in Amman, Jordan. The Syria conflict is unique and complex, you will find that no day is the same and there is always more to learn.
This post is based in Amman, Jordan and reports to the Deputy Director.
As, Safety Advisor- North, you will serve as INSO’s primary representative supporting a dynamic humanitarian community in north and northwest Syria. Safety Advisors work in and manage close-knit and professional teams in providing high quality services to our NGO. You will need strong interpersonal and communication skills, networking, report writing and presentation skills.
- Establish and maintain an active information network, which includes NGOs, the UN, and other key actors to obtain credible and relevant safety information.
- Provide NGOs with timely and credible security information and in-depth, nuanced contextual analysis through: daily flash alerts, weekly incident lists and bi-weekly analytical reports.
- Assist NGOs in developing their own security management capacities by reviewing policy documents, conducting site-security surveys, and assisting in crisis evacuation plans.
- Facilitate and lead regular NGO community security roundtables, presenting trends and facilitating discussions.
- Effectively represent, promote and protect INSO’s mandate of independence, impartiality and neutrality.
- Fluency in English.
- Relevant graduate level education or equivalent work experience.
- Outstanding writing and analytical skills
- Demonstrable understanding of humanitarian safety and access practices & principles and their application.
- Ability to adapt to multi-cultural and diverse social backgrounds.
- Understanding and commitment to the humanitarian principles of independence, impartiality and neutrality.
Nice to have:
- Minimum of (1) year’s recent experience working on Syria – ideally in an NGO safety or analytical role or equivalent – and demonstrable understanding of the context.
- Experience with NGO security and/or project management.
- Existing information networks.
- Arabic, Turkish, or Kurdish language skills a plus.
Key Personal Competencies:
- Excellent analyst
- Team player
- Strong interpersonal skills
- A good listener
- An effective communicator
- A proactive thinker
INSO’s Safeguarding Policy
INSO is fully committed to safe recruitment, selection and vetting of all potential new staff, trustees and volunteers and we will ensure rigorous compliance with our Code of Conduct and Safeguarding policy throughout the recruitment process.
Terms & Conditions:
12-month renewable. €4,550 per month salary, 4 calendar days annual leave per month and 3 days of R&R every 3 months, JOD 1250 housing allowance, global medical coverage (excluding USA) and AD&D insurance.
How to apply
Please submit completed applications to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference ‘Safety Advisor North in the subject line. Applications should be in English and include:
- An updated CV (maximum 3 pages).
- A one-page cover letter detailing why you are interested in working for INSO and how your qualifications align specifically with the competencies required for the role.
Please do not send any additional information. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Tell us a little about yourself
Information provided in this form will only be used to understand our audience and improve our website.