Safety Advisor – Mobile, Nigeria
Founded in 2011, the International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) is an international non-governmental organisation that supports humanitarian aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts. INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services, including real-time incident tracking, analytical reports, safety-related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff orientations and training.
INSO works in 16 of the world’s most insecure countries with its headquarters in The Hague, the international city of peace and justice.
INSO Nigeria began in April 2016 with the establishment of an office in Maiduguri, Nigeria. The Maiduguri field office is supported by a country office in Abuja, and the platform currently supports more than 120 NGOs working in Nigeria. By providing analysis and advice on the dynamic security environment, we are assisting partners to stay and deliver aid to people who are displaced and in need. Working with INSO in Nigeria will give you the unique opportunity to directly enable NGOs to do their job safely.
The Safety Advisor Mobile reports to the Deputy Director and is based in Abuja, with frequent trips to Maiduguri and other locations in Nigeria.
As Safety Advisor Mobile, you provide a roving gap-filling capacity to the team. Most typically, you will provide in-situ or remote coverage of SA duties to the regional team when the regional SA is absent or traveling. You will also be well placed to support the sharing of best practices among INSO regional teams, to monitor compliance with programming and management SOPs in regional offices, and to support capacity building.
- Cover the SA duties when the SA is not available. Cover the Deputy Director’s duties when the DD is on leave.
- Support with sharing of best practices and with team capacity development.
- Support with monitoring and improving compliance in field team deliveries.
- Provide qualified advisories to NGOs on safety and security management, and access management whilst managing and developing the capacities of INSOs team dedicated to the area.
- Establish and maintain an active information network, which includes NGOs, the UN, military forces, and other national and international security actors to obtain credible and relevant safety information.
- Provide NGOs with timely and credible security information and contextual analysis of the local security situation through daily alerts and reports, weekly incident lists, bi-weekly analytical reports, and other thematic reports.
- Facilitate and lead regional NGO community security roundtables.
- Assist NGOs in developing their own security management capacities by reviewing policy documents, conducting site-security surveys, and assisting in crisis evacuation planning.
- Effectively represent, promote, and protect INSO’s mandate of independence, impartiality, and neutrality.
- Support NGOs with real-time incident and crisis management.
- Manages INSO’s internal security in Abuja.
- Fluency in English, both written and spoken.
- Masters level education or equivalent in a relevant field.
- Proven writing, editing, and analytical skills.
- Personal and professional resilience in a fast-moving, high-output, quality-driven program.
- Independent drive, motivation, and excellence, and ability to operate and sustainably manage staff and teams under strict systems and deadlines.
- Well-developed personal, organizational, and team management skills and standards in a diverse multicultural setting.
- Experience with NGOs, humanitarian access, risk management, project management, and demonstrable understanding of humanitarian safety practices and principles.
- Demonstrable understanding of security dynamics in Northeastern Nigeria, and experience in insecure/conflict-affected environments.
- Significant experience in Northeast, Northwest, and/or North-Central states of Nigeria.
- Existing information networks.
- Local language skills.
Key Personal Competencies
- Good listener
- Effective communicator
- Excellent analyst
- Team player
- Excellent interpersonal skills
Terms & Conditions:
12-month contract, €4550 per month salary, 4 calendar days annual leave per month and 3 days of R&R every 3 months with an R&R allowance of 1250 EUR, global medical coverage (excluding USA), $200,000 AD&D coverage.
How to Apply
Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference “Safety Advisor Mobile + your name” in the subject line of the email.
- Cover Letter specifying how you meet the mandatory requirements, any preferred characteristics, your motivation for applying, and what you hope to bring to INSO.
- Updated CV (4 pages max).
- One relevant and substantive writing sample in English that demonstrates your analytical and report writing abilities (10 pages max).
Please do not send any additional information. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Tell us a little about yourself
Information provided in this form will only be used to understand our audience and improve our website.