Safety Advisor- East, Nigeria
Founded in 2011, the International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) is an international non-governmental organisation that supports humanitarian aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts. INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services, including real-time incident tracking, analytical reports, safety-related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff orientations and training.
INSO works in 16 of the world’s most insecure countries with its headquarters in The Hague, the international city of peace and justice.
INSO Nigeria, Lake Chad Basin:
INSO Lake Chad Basin began in April 2016 with the establishment of an office in Maiduguri, Nigeria. The Maiduguri field office is supported by a country office in Abuja, and the platform currently supports more than 120 NGOs working in Nigeria. By providing analysis and advice on the dynamic security environment, we are assisting partners to stay and deliver aid to people who are displaced and in need. Working with INSO in the Northeast of Nigeria will give you the unique opportunity to directly enable NGOs to do their job safely.
The Safety Advisor East is based in Maiduguri and reports to the Deputy Director.
Safety Advisor positions are highly rewarding roles, offering a unique opportunity to work in a close-knit team giving security analysis and advice that is vital to the efforts of the NGO community to deliver aid and assistance to the thousands of people who need it.
You will be outgoing and resilient, with the ability to analyze complex security issues and contexts, give sound practical safety and security advice and above all else share INSO’s commitment to humanitarian principles.
- Establish and maintain an active information network, which includes NGOs, the UN, military forces, etc. to obtain credible and relevant safety information.
- Provide NGOs with timely and credible security information and contextual analysis of the local security situation.
- Facilitate and lead regional NGO community security roundtables.
- Assist NGOs in developing their own security management capacities and assisting in crisis evacuation planning.
- Manage a small team, including supervision of national staff and oversight of local logistics and administration.
- Effectively represent, promote, and protect INSO’s mandate of independence, impartiality and neutrality.
- Fluency in English, both written and spoken.
- Masters level education or equivalent in a relevant field.
- Proven writing, editing, and analytical skills.
- Personal and professional resilience in a fast-moving, high-output, quality-driven program.
- Independent drive, motivation, and excellence, and ability to operate and sustainably manage staff and teams under strict systems and deadlines.
- Well-developed personal, organisational and team management skills and standards in a diverse multicultural setting.
- Demonstrable understanding of humanitarian safety practices and principles.
- Recent experience in Nigeria.
- Demonstrable understanding of security dynamics in the Lake Chad Basin.
- Experience in insecure/conflict-affected environments.
- Experience with NGO security and/or project management.
- Experience in the humanitarian, humanitarian access or risk management sectors.
- Existing information networks.
- Local language skills.
Key Personal Competencies
- Good listener
- Effective communicator
- Excellent analyst
- Team player
- Excellent interpersonal skills
INSO’s Safeguarding Policy
INSO is fully committed to safe recruitment, selection and vetting of all potential new staff, trustees and volunteers and we will ensure rigorous compliance with our Code of Conduct and Safeguarding policy throughout the recruitment process.
Terms & Conditions: 12-month contract, €4550 per month salary, 4 calendar days annual leave per month and 7 days of R&R every 2 months with an R&R allowance of 1250 EUR, global medical coverage (excluding USA), $200,000 AD&D coverage
How to Apply
Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference “Safety Advisor East” in the subject line of the email.
- Cover Letter specifying how you meet the mandatory requirements, any preferred characteristics, your motivation for applying, and what you hope to bring to INSO.
- Updated CV.
- One relevant and substantive writing sample in English that demonstrates your analytical and report writing abilities (10 page max).
Please do not send any additional information. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Tell us a little about yourself
Information provided in this form will only be used to understand our audience and improve our website.