Regional Analyst – Sahel
Founded in 2011, the International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) is an international non-governmental organisation that supports humanitarian aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts. INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services, including real-time incident tracking, analytical reports, safety-related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff orientations and training.
INSO provides daily support to more than 1,200 NGOs operating in 16 of the world’s most insecure countries.
INSO is headquartered in The Hague, Netherlands- the international city of peace and justice.
INSO in Sahel
INSO is present with platforms based in Mali, Burkina Faso and Niger. We provide a standard set of services to improve the delivery of humanitarian aid and safeguard the security of NGO staff.
Each Country Office has multiple field office locations. Mali and Burkina Faso programs provide nation-wide coverage. In Niger, we cover Diffa, Dosso, Maradi, Tahoua and Tillabéry regions with our Country Office in Niamey. More than 330 national and international NGOs benefit from INSO services in these three countries.
Under the supervision of the West Africa & Haiti Regional Director and technical guidance of the Director of Analysis and Research, you will be responsible for complementing INSO’s existing products through identification and assessment of regional factors that shape humanitarian safety and access.
This is a fully bilingual position (English and French). The Regional Analyst may be based in any of these three countries, with regular travel in the region.
- Produce scheduled reports that assist NGO partners by assessing prevalent regional conflict dynamics and their impact on humanitarian safety and access.
- Manage and deliver ad-hoc products on emerging regional challenges to humanitarian safety and access using a combination of qualitative and quantitative methods.
- Convene and contribute to regional NGO coordination meetings.
- Contribute to other country office products and inform programmatic decision-making, operational modalities, and contingency plans at the regional level.
- Offer analysis service directly to INSO’s NGO partners upon their request on topics relevant to NGO safety and access.
- Monitor, collate and verify regional developments from a diverse range of information, such as NGOs, the UN, civil society organisations, research institutes and media sources.
- Cultivate an active network of contacts within the broader humanitarian community for information sharing, analytical exchanges and operational coordination.
- Enlarge the scope of countries’ monitoring where NGOs face security and access issues while delivering aid, for instance in coastal states.
- Liaise and coordinate with INSO’s Director of Analysis and Research for initiatives related to ensuring analytical quality assurance and standards in-country.
- Effectively represent and protect INSO’s principles of independence, impartiality and neutrality; promote INSO as an integral member of the humanitarian community.
- Exemplary command of French (main working and writing language) and English
- Graduate level education in conflict, political science, security, or humanitarian studies, or a related field, or equivalent work experience
- Proven writing, editing, and analytical skills and a keen eye for detail
- A minimum of three years of work experience in or on conflict or post-conflict contexts, preferably in an analytical capacity
- Experience working in NGOs, international organisations, think tanks, research, or journalism, with ideally an experience in coordination and engagement matters.
- Acceptance and strong understanding of humanitarian principles
- Demonstrable understanding of humanitarian safety practices and their application
- Excellent networking, diplomatic, and representative communication skills
- Strong comprehension and training in conflict analysis, conflict sensitivity and/or do no harm.
- Fluency in regional languages
- Existing information networks
- Experience working in Sahel with demonstrable understanding of the context
- Experience in insecure/conflict-affected environments
- Detailed understanding of INSO’s mandate & services
Key Personal Competencies
- Conceptual, critical and creative thinking
- Managing and solving complex problems
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Organised and diligent work ethic
- Empowering and inclusive team player
- Cultural and situational sensitivity
- Principled and consummate professional
INSO’s Safeguarding Policy
INSO is fully committed to safe recruitment, selection and vetting of all potential new staff, trustees and volunteers and we will ensure rigorous compliance with our Code of Conduct and Safeguarding policy throughout the recruitment process.
Terms & Conditions
12-month contract, €4,550 per month salary, 4 calendar days annual leave per month and 7 days of R&R every 3 months with €1250 R&R allowance each cycle, global medical coverage (excluding USA), $200,000 AD&D coverage.
How to Apply
Please submit your application online at https://inso.ngo/RAS1023:
- Cover Letter specifying how you meet the mandatory requirements, any preferred characteristics, your motivation for applying, and what you hope to bring to INSO.
- Updated CV.
- Relevant and substantive writing samples both in English and French that demonstrate your analytical and report writing abilities (10 pages max).
Please do not send any additional information. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Tell us a little about yourself
Information provided in this form will only be used to understand our audience and improve our website.