Operations Manager – Yemen
Founded in 2011, the International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) is an international non-governmental organisation that supports humanitarian aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts.
INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services, including real-time incident tracking, analytical reports, safety-related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff orientations and training.
INSO works in 16 of the world’s most insecure countries with its headquarters in The Hague, the international city of peace and justice.
In 2022, INSO initiated operations in Yemen in partnership with donors and NGO partners and will open a country program in October 2023. INSO plans to establish its services in the country based in Aden and expand to other areas in the future.
As the Operations Manager (OM), you will report directly to the Yemen Country Director and work closely with the Operations and Human Resources teams at Headquarters. You will assist in establishing the INSO country office in Aden, Yemen, plus establish and manage the various support services – procurement, logistics, HR, IT, safety and security.
Yemen Country Start-Up
You will assist the Country Director with the startup of the INSO Yemen country office. During the start-up phase:
- Take the lead in sourcing an office, guest house, and assets, and conducting the procurement processes involved in contracting the facilities, goods and services required for the country office.
- Assist in the recruitment of national staff.
- Conduct onboarding and training as staff are recruited to ensure implementation of INSO’s policies and procedures.
- Initiate the Country Security Management Plan (CSMP) and Security Risk Assessment (SRA) in conjunction with the HQ Global Security and Risk Manager.
- Make local contacts with relevant agencies upon arrival including authorities and humanitarian agencies present.
- Establish contacts with relevant authorities and humanitarian agencies present.
- Ensure all start up activities comply with the INSO policies and procedures.
- Proactively build the capacity of the Operations team as it is recruited to provide effective operational support to the CO.
- Act as the Yemen country focal point on INSO’s administrative and procurement procedures.
- Lead and coordinate national staff on-boarding and coordinate with HQ HR on international staff onboarding.
- Coordinate and monitor national staff performance monitoring, grievance management, etc.
- Prepare national staff monthly payroll.
- Provide support to internal and external audit requests.
- Act as the in-country project management focal point for all HR.
- Act as safeguarding focal point.
Legal and Compliance
- Ensure all necessary legal and regulatory documents are filed with national authorities to maintain INSO’s in-country registrations.
- Create a tracker for renewal of INSO registration documents as well as staff visas and work permits.
- Develop and oversee control systems to prevent violations of legal guidelines and internal policies.
- Lead audit follow-up and implement recommendations in all areas of Operations.
Facilities and Asset Management
- Manage the entire scope of facilities management.
- Prepare and maintain the country office’s leases and contracts with suppliers.
- Equip and maintain all staff facilities and vehicles.
- Establish and maintain a central asset register.
Procurement and Logistics
- Enforce compliance with Procurement and Logistics regulations.
- Oversee full implementation of procurement processes.
- Enforce all controls to prevent fraud and corruption.
- Carry out routine local market surveys for goods and services.
- Carry out supplier checks and vet them against anti-terror or sanction lists.
- Manage and implement INSO fleet guidelines policy.
- Contribute to donor reporting in area of asset management/logistics/procurement.
Safety and Security
- Ensure appropriate steps are taken to safeguard INSO facilities, vehicles, and assets.
- Ensure drivers and guards are briefed on country safety and security protocols.
- Ensure new staff/consultants/visitors are oriented and trained on the Country Security Management Plan.
- Serve as the focal point for the Global Risk & Safety Manager.
- Fluency in English (written and spoken).
- A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field from a recognized academic institution.
- At least 5 years of progressive Operations experience, at least 2 years with an NGO or international organisation.
- Experience in donor (USAID, EU, FCDO, etc.) procurement and asset regulations (2 CFR, PRAQ, etc).
- Highly self-motivated with the ability to manage multiple priorities and work to set deadlines.
- Proficient use of MS Office and experience with database management.
- Fluency in Arabic (written and spoken)
- Previous experience with Humanitarian logistics and procurement.
- Previous experience in a humanitarian start-up mission
- Existing knowledge of INSO and affinity with its mission.
- Experience as a user or admin of HRIS.
- Prior field experience in Yemen or the Middle East in a similar position a plus.
INSO’s Safeguarding Policy
INSO is fully committed to safe recruitment, selection and vetting of all potential new staff, trustees and volunteers and we will ensure rigorous compliance with our Code of Conduct and Safeguarding policy throughout the recruitment process.
Terms & Conditions
12-month renewable contract, €4,550 per month salary, four calendar days annual leave per month, seven days of R&R every 3 months, €1,000 R&R allowance each cycle, global medical coverage (excluding USA) and AD&D Insurance.
How to apply:
Please apply to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference ‘Operations Manager’ in the subject line. Please include the following documents:
- Updated CV.
- Cover letter detailing why you are interested in working for INSO and how your qualifications align with this role.
Please do not send any additional information. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Tell us a little about yourself
Information provided in this form will only be used to understand our audience and improve our website.