MEAL Manager – HQ
Founded in 2011, the International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) is an international non-governmental organisation that supports humanitarian aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts. INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services, including real-time incident tracking, analytical reports, safety-related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff orientations and training.
INSO provides daily support to more than 1000 NGOs operating in 16 of the world’s most insecure countries.
INSO is registered in the Netherlands with its headquarters based in The Hague, the international city of peace and justice.
As our first Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEAL) post, the goal is to help INSO define, measure, communicate and learn from impact across all areas of activity. It is focussed principally on monitoring impact for the purpose of accountability and reporting but also includes elements of internal learning and development which will grow over time.
The MEAL Manager will need to work from the ground up to conceive, design and implement a one-of-a-kind MEAL system that can do justice to the varied, complex, and high value impacts of a dynamic and fast-growing organisation. The MEAL Manager reports to the Director of Field Programs and will liaise widely across global and field teams.
Developing the MEAL framework:
- Work with senior leadership to help identify and articulate organisational impacts, preferred approaches, and expected outcomes at the country, regional and global levels.
- Design and develop an appropriate impact monitoring framework including a problem statement, theory of change, ELQs, impact statements and relevant indicators (qualitative and quantitative).
- Work with the Program Committee to develop and implement practical collection, evaluation and reporting tools and structures that will allow INSO to monitor and present impact.
Internal Learning, Support and Training:
- Support the Program Committee in developing systems to integrate MEAL outcomes into Annual Program planning and program policy development.
- Lead the training and orientation of relevant personnel in INSO’s MEAL framework and approaches including in relation to data collection, analysis and storytelling.
- Serve as organisation wide technical referent for MEAL, supporting integration in to programming and identifying opportunities for development.
Communication and Engagement:
- In coordination with grants and communication staff, develop systems and approaches to integrate MEAL outcomes with reporting to partners, donors, and regulators.
- Develop periodic impact reports for senior management and Board of trustees, donors, annual reports, presentations, website etc as needed.
- Serve as INSO focal point for external MEAL processes and Strategic Reviews. Ensure follow-up on recommendations
- Participate in presenting and demonstrating INSO’s impact at meetings, conferences and other events as needed.
- Lead periodic workshops, and develop other strategies, to disseminate leaning, success stories and methodologies throughout INSO.
- Ensure that MEAL systems contribute to INSOs image as a professional, accountable, and sector-leading organisation.
- 7+ years of experience designing and implementing Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning systems for emergency, early recovery and/or development projects.
- 3+ years of senior management experience at HQ level or in large field projects (leading technical teams, designing MEAL strategies and systems in complex organisations or projects)
- Experience designing and implementing MEAL systems for programs funded by donors such as DG ECHO, USAID, FCDO, SDC, SIDA, German MFA, etc.
- Master’s degree in relevant field
- Demonstrable understanding of implementing results-based monitoring, evaluation and learning systems, results frameworks and theory of change methodology
Nice to have
- French language (written and spoken)
- Experience in humanitarian operations/humanitarian safety
- Aware of INSO services and role in the community
- Experience in developing and leading MEAL in support organisations or projects
- Experience with capacity development (designing and leading trainings and workshops, remote capacity building, e-learning, physical attendance training courses and workshops).
- Results oriented
- Passionate about MEAL, data and humanitarian safety
- Easy-going personality
- Willingness to travel and represent INSO
INSO’s Safeguarding Policy
INSO is fully committed to safe recruitment, selection and vetting of all potential new staff, trustees and volunteers and we will ensure rigorous compliance with our Code of Conduct and Safeguarding policy throughout the recruitment process.
Terms & Conditions:
This is a full-time, fixed-term (renewable) position based in The Hague with gross monthly salary of €5,250 plus 8% vakantiengeld (vacation pay) and 2.5 days of annual leave per month. This post is eligible for a Highly Skilled Migrant visa sponsorship and relocation allowance.
How to apply
Please submit completed applications to email@example.com no later than 17 June and reference ‘MEAL Manager’ in the subject line. Applications should be in English and include:
- An updated CV (maximum 3 pages).
- A one-page cover letter detailing why you are interested in working for INSO and how your qualifications align specifically with the competencies required for the role.
Please do not send any additional information. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Tell us a little about yourself
Information provided in this form will only be used to understand our audience and improve our website.