MEAL Manager – HQ
Founded in 2011, the International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) is an international non-governmental organisation that supports humanitarian aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts. INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services, including real-time incident tracking, analytical reports, safety-related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff orientations and training.
INSO provides daily support to more than 1000 NGOs operating in 16 of the world’s most insecure countries.
INSO is registered in the Netherlands with its headquarters based in The Hague, the international city of peace and justice.
As our first Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEAL) post, you will help INSO define, measure, communicate and learn from impact across all areas of activity. You will focus principally on monitoring impact for the purpose of accountability and reporting. There will also be elements of internal learning and development which will grow over time.
As the MEAL Manager, you will design and implement a one-of-a-kind MEAL system that can do justice to the varied, complex, and high value impacts of a dynamic and fast-growing organisation. You will report to the Director of Field Programs and liaise widely across global and field teams.
Developing the MEAL framework:
- In coordination with the senior leadership and INSO missions, lead the development, design and rollout of organisational MEAL framework and policy in compliance with internal and donor requirements
- Work with senior leadership to facilitate comprehensive review and refinement of organisational theory of change, expected outcomes at the country, regional and global levels, and finetuning organisational-level indicators
- Work with the Program Committee to develop and implement practical data collection, tracking, reporting and evaluation tools and structures that will allow INSO to monitor and present impact, and lead the subsequent rollout of these tools for INSO missions
- Be in charge of developing internal MEAL guidelines for the use of country missions and HQ-level projects
Internal Learning, Support and Training:
- Support the Program Committee in developing systems to integrate MEAL outcomes and resources into Annual Program planning and policy development.
- Lead the training and orientation of relevant personnel in INSO’s MEAL approaches including; data collection, progress monitoring, analysis, reporting and storytelling.
- Lead the process and tool development for institutionalization of learning and knowledge management systems.
- Serve as organisation-wide technical referent for MEAL, supporting integration in to programming and identifying opportunities for development.
- Act as primary technical referent for in-country evaluation, baseline and end-line studies completed internally or by third party organisations.
Communication and Engagement:
- In coordination with grants and communications staff, develop systems and approaches to integrate MEAL outcomes with reporting to partners, donors, and regulators.
- Develop periodic impact reports for senior management, donors, etc.
- Participate in presenting and demonstrating INSO’s impact at meetings, conferences, etc.
- In coordination with the communications team, identify and develop case studies, impact studies, fact sheets and other communication products for external audiences.
- Lead periodic workshops, and develop other strategies, to disseminate learning, success stories and methodologies throughout INSO.
- 7+ years of experience designing and implementing Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning systems for emergency, early recovery and/or development projects.
- 3+ years of senior management experience at HQ level or in large field projects (leading technical teams, designing MEAL strategies and systems).
- Experience designing and implementing MEAL systems for programs funded by donors such as DG ECHO, USAID, FCDO, etc.
- Master’s degree in relevant field.
- Demonstrable understanding of implementing results-based monitoring, evaluation and learning systems, results frameworks and theory of change methodology.
Nice to have
- French fluency
- Experience in humanitarian operations/humanitarian safety
- Aware of INSO services and role in the community
- Experience in developing and leading MEAL in support organisations or projects
- Experience with capacity development
- Results oriented
- Passionate about MEAL, data and humanitarian safety
- Easy-going personality
- Willingness to travel and represent INSO
INSO’s Safeguarding Policy
INSO is fully committed to safe recruitment, selection and vetting of all potential new staff, trustees and volunteers and we will ensure rigorous compliance with our Code of Conduct and Safeguarding policy throughout the recruitment process.
Terms & Conditions:
This is a full-time, fixed-term (renewable) position based in The Hague with gross monthly salary of €5,250 plus 8% vakantiengeld (vacation pay) and 2.5 days of annual leave per month. This post is eligible for a Highly Skilled Migrant visa sponsorship and relocation allowance.
How to apply
Please submit completed applications to firstname.lastname@example.org by 20th September and reference ‘MEAL Manager’ in the subject line. Applications should be in English and include:
- An updated CV (maximum 3 pages).
- A one-page cover letter detailing why you are interested in working for INSO and how your qualifications align specifically with the competencies required for the role.
Please do not send any additional information. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Tell us a little about yourself
Information provided in this form will only be used to understand our audience and improve our website.