Director of Technology & Innovation – HQ
Founded in 2011, the International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) is an international non-governmental organisation that supports humanitarian aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts. INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services, including real-time incident tracking, analytical reports, safety-related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff orientations and training.
INSO provides daily support to more than 1000 NGOs operating in 16 of the world’s most insecure countries.
INSO is registered in the Netherlands with its headquarters based in The Hague, the international city of peace and justice.
The international community has identified an urgent need for improved data tools for humanitarian response, including incident tracking, alerts systems and visualisations.
To achieve this, we have built a talented team of professionals including information managers, a software development team, and a UI/UX manager and developed some of the sectors most advanced web-resources such as the Conflict & Humanitarian Data Centre and the INSO Partners Portal.
With a solid foundation in place, we are now looking for a Director of Technology and Innovation (DTI) to turn this team into a department and drive strategic developments to keep INSO at the cutting edge of the humanitarian information and technology space.
The DTI will bring inspiration and organisation to the technology team, establishing robust systems for project development, while leading creative efforts to develop new tools and resources to support humanitarian safety.
The role will suit a high-functioning expert who is excited by the opportunity to lead and create in a dynamic and forward-thinking environment. They will be capable of nurturing highly qualified technical experts and leading them in the delivery of a shared vision.
The DTI is a departmental lead post, reporting directly to the Executive Director and are also a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT) and the internal Program Committee.
They supervise the Senior Information Management team (x2), the Software Development team (x3), the UI/UX Manager (x1) and provide technical support to project level Information Managers (x16).
- Help develop a compelling vision for INSO’s role in the humanitarian technology and information space with a focus on how to provide the highest impact for partners, donors, and other stakeholders; invent a simple strategy to deliver it.
- Lead, motivate and inspire the talented tech team including setting objectives, building team cohesion, managing workflows and recruitment and orientation of new department personnel.
- Lead the development and maintenance of the policy environment, reviewing and updating current practices, identifying and filling gaps, and developing new policies as needed.
- Establish a robust and effective project management framework to technical projects and teams.
- Develop systems to gather and assess ideas for the continual development of existing applications including the Conflict & Humanitarian Data Centre (CHDC).
- Creatively collaborate across the organisation, and beyond, to innovate the next generation of high impact digital resources for the NGO community.
- Support the integration of INSO digital resources into program delivery.
- Develop and manage the Technology and Innovation departmental budget.
- Support the Executive Director and Senior Management Team (SMT) in representing INSO and presenting DTI objectives, activities and accomplishments.
- 7+ years of experience project managing technical teams in web development
- Advanced degree in relevant field such as Information Systems, Computer Science/Engineering, Information Technology, Information Management.
- Demonstrable and extensive experience developing front/back-end solutions and architecture and understanding of human-centred design and development disciplines.
- Extensive experience as a manager, mentor and coach to people of all backgrounds and creating an inclusive culture and team environment.
- Extensive experience managing multiple multi-disciplinary projects in an organised, structured and inclusive manner.
- Ability to communicate and explain complex concepts and programs simply and accessibly.
- Advanced understanding of data and information security.
Nice to have
- French or Arabic language skills
- Experience in humanitarian operations and the use of data/tech in incidents reporting, mapping, visualisation, etc.
- Aware of INSO services and role in the NGO community
- Experience in leading R&D in complex international organizations such as for governments, NGOs, or large companies.
Terms and Conditions
This is a full-time, fixed-term (renewable) position based in The Hague with gross monthly salary of €8,000 plus 8% vakantiengeld (vacation pay) and 2.5 days of annual leave per month. The post is eligible for a Highly Skilled Migrant visa sponsorship and relocation allowance.
INSO’s Safeguarding Policy
INSO is fully committed to safe recruitment, selection and vetting of all potential new staff, trustees and volunteers and we will ensure rigorous compliance with our Code of Conduct and Safeguarding policy throughout the recruitment process.
How to apply
Please submit completed applications to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 15 June and reference ‘DTI’ in the subject line. Applications should be in English and include:
- An updated CV (maximum 3 pages).
- A one-page cover letter detailing why you are interested in working for INSO and how your qualifications align specifically with the competencies required for the role.
Please do not send any additional information. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Tell us a little about yourself
Information provided in this form will only be used to understand our audience and improve our website.