Deputy Safety Advisor – Palestine
Founded in 2011, the International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) is an international non-governmental organisation that supports humanitarian aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts. INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services, including real-time incident tracking, analytical reports, safety-related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff orientations and training.
INSO provides daily support to more than 1200 NGOs operating in 16 of the world’s most insecure countries. INSO is headquartered in The Hague, Netherlands- the international city of peace and justice.
The INSO Palestine platform is launching in response to the ongoing crisis in the Occupied Palestinian Territories (oPT). Based in Amman, Jordan, this new programme will support NGOs providing much-needed humanitarian assistance amid a complex safety and access environment. The team will harness data and insights to provide timely analysis and coordination services to assist humanitarians navigating significant risks to staff and beneficiaries. As part of the INSO Palestine team, you will be playing an active and impactful role in assisting the delivery of aid to people in significant need.
Under the supervision of the Safety Advisor, you will focus on monitoring safety and security related incidents in oPT using a variety of sources in order to inform NGOs about safety and access issues. You will be responsible for data collection, management, verification and encoding, as well as assisting the Safety Advisor in drafting reports and assessments. You will be fluent in Arabic with strong working knowledge of English (written and verbal) and have the right to live and work in Jordan.
- Receive, review and confirm safety and security incident reports on a daily basis.
- Review the quality of information and verify using a range of sources.
- Assist Safety Advisor with briefings, analytical reports, data assessments and drafting presentations on the safety and security environment and how it affects NGO operations.
- Help maintain and expand INSO’s network of NGO partners and contacts working in oPT.
- Fluency in English and Arabic.
- Jordanian national or the right to live and work in Jordan.
- Relevant graduate level education or equivalent work experience.
- Proven understanding of security dynamics in oPT.
- Demonstrable understanding of humanitarian safety and access practices and challenges.
- Proven skills working with databases and understanding of how to use data for analysis.
- Understanding and commitment to the humanitarian principles of independence, impartiality and neutrality.
Nice to have:
- Recent experience working on Palestine and the wider context – ideally in an NGO safety or analytical role or equivalent – and demonstrable understanding of the context.
- Experience with NGO security and/or project management.
- Existing information networks in oPT.
Key Personal Competencies:
- Excellent time management
- Team player
- Strong interpersonal skills
- A good listener
- An effective communicator
- A proactive thinker
INSO’s Safeguarding Policy
INSO is fully committed to safe recruitment, selection and vetting of all potential new staff, trustees and volunteers and we will ensure rigorous compliance with our Code of Conduct and Safeguarding policy throughout the recruitment process.
Terms & Conditions:
Three month contract (renewable), USD $2900 per month, 1.75 days of annual leave per month, private health insurance and AD&D coverage. This position is open to Jordanian nationals and those with the right to live and work in Jordan.
How to apply
Please submit completed applications to email@example.com and reference ‘DSA Palestine’ in the subject line. Applications should be in English and include:
- An updated CV.
- A one-page cover letter detailing why you are interested in working for INSO and how your qualifications align specifically with the competencies required for the role.
- One relevant and substantive writing sample in English that demonstrates your analytical and report writing abilities (3 page maximum).
Please do not send any additional information. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Tell us a little about yourself
Information provided in this form will only be used to understand our audience and improve our website.