Deputy Finance Director – HQ
Founded in 2011, the International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) is an international non-governmental organisation that supports humanitarian aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts. INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services, including real-time incident tracking, analytical reports, safety-related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff orientations and training.
INSO provides daily support to more than 1000 NGOs operating in sixteen of the world’s most insecure countries.
INSO is registered in the Netherlands with its headquarters based in The Hague, the international city of peace and justice.
As the Deputy Finance Director (DFD), you work closely with the Finance Director (FD) to apply high-quality operational financial management across the organisation. This includes ensuring compliance with donor and accounting regulations, providing mentoring to the INSO Finance community, leading on specific projects and systems improvement initiatives and training. The DFD also line manages the HQ Finance Team, including the Finance Manager and an Accountant, and reports to the Finance Director.
As the DFD you will be an owner of “how-to” conduct INSO financial processes and will be deemed instrumental in bringing them to a new organisational level. You will be a passionate and senior leader able to influence those around you in both formal and informal way, you will enjoy change management and building systemic and structural solutions.
This position is based in The Hague, Netherlands.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain the financial Standard Operating Procedures, proactively suggest new solutions and ways to standardise financial processes and templates across the organisation.
- Develop and implement specific assigned projects; coordinate projects assigned to other Finance staff.
- Coordinate work with the IT department and external consultants to maintain a secured storage environment for finance documents and accounting software.
- Develop security protocols and data access groups; conduct or coordinate system testing, training, and troubleshooting.
- Approve selected financial rules derogations requested by INSO Country Offices.
- Oversee the accounting function across the Organisation; promote standardisation and apply accounting controls.
- Lead the annual closure-of-accounts and prepare the management accounts in line with Dutch regulations (RJ640).
- Coordinate audit of annual accounts with external auditors and other departments; support coordinating grants’ audits or any special audits taking place at the Headquarters.
- You will supervise, guide, and line manage the Team responsible for HQ Finance.
- Support the Finance Director in overseeing INSO’s performance in budget, cash management and grants compliance and serve as an advisor.
- Substitute functions of the Finance Director while they are on leave and closely collaborate in daily as well as strategic financial matters.
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
- Fully qualified (ACA, ACCA, CIMA or similar, or Master level business or financial education)
- At least 10 years in a management role, ideally leading finance functions at HQ or regional level,
- Demonstrable experience of systems improvements across the finance functions,
- Demonstrable experience of staff management and capacity building,
- Demonstrable experience of the regulatory practices and trends (donors/regulators) affecting the humanitarian sector,
- Proficient in technology and accounting software (preferably SUNSYSTEM)
- Fluent in English (written and spoken)
Nice to Have:
- Strong working knowledge of French
- Strong working knowledge of Dutch
- Experience working at the Headquarters of an International NGO
- Ability and willingness to travel to INSO field sites, many of which are insecure.
- Reside in or willingness to relocate to the Netherlands
Terms & Conditions:
This is a full-time, fixed-term position based in The Hague, renewable 12-month contract with a gross monthly salary of €7,000 plus 8% vakantiegeld (vacation pay) and 2.5 days of annual leave per month. We provide premium basic ONVZ health insurance. The position is eligible for a Highly Skilled Migrant visa and relocation allowance.
INSO’s Safeguarding Policy
INSO is fully committed to safe recruitment, selection and vetting of all potential new staff, trustees and volunteers and we will ensure rigorous compliance with our Code of Conduct and Safeguarding policy throughout the recruitment process.
How to apply
Please submit completed applications in English to email@example.com and reference ‘DFD’ in the subject line of the email:
- An updated CV (maximum three pages).
- A one-page cover letter detailing why you are interested in working for INSO and how your qualifications align specifically with the competencies required for the role.
Please do not send any additional information. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Tell us a little about yourself
Information provided in this form will only be used to understand our audience and improve our website.