Deputy Director – Mali
Founded in 2011, the International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) is an international NGO that supports humanitarian aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts. INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services, including real-time incident tracking, analytical reports, safety-related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff orientations and training.
INSO provides daily support to more than 1000 NGOs operating in 16 of the world’s most insecure countries.
INSO is registered in the Netherlands with its headquarters based in The Hague, the international city of peace and justice.
The Mali platform launched in 2013. We serve Mali from our Country Office in Bamako, field offices in Mopti and Gao and a presence in Segou, Timbuktu, Menaka and Kidal. INSO Mali currently supports 175 national and international NGO partners.
We are now seeking a qualified and experienced analyst and manager to serve as our Deputy Director. This position is based in Bamako with travel to the field.
The Deputy Director oversees all aspects of service delivery and plays a key role in ensuring that INSO provides the best support possible to NGOs responding to the crisis in Mali. Specific responsibilities include the recruitment, training, and management of a team of senior analysts (Safety Advisors), editorial review of key INSO products, monitoring, and continual improvement of compliance with service delivery standards and support to the Country Director in the broader development of the program.
The successful candidate will have a strong background in NGO safety and security, be outgoing, inquisitive and detail oriented, and have significant experience building and leading high performing teams. They should have the ability to analyse complex security issues and contexts, communicate to an excellent standard of French both verbally and in writing, and above all else share INSO’s commitment to humanitarian principles.
Team Leadership and Management
- Direct management of INSO Safety Advisors (x4), including recruitment, training, orientation, and on-the-job mentoring.
- Managing the program during the Country Director’s absence.
- Editorial responsibility for bi-monthly analytical report.
- Supervision and quality assurance of INSO service delivery, including: 24/7 flash reporting, safety and access roundtable meetings, analytical reports, crisis management support and other demand-based services.
- Representation and liaison towards third parties, including NGOs, the UN and international donors.
- Support program development and implementation
- Develop and implement internal security management policy, SOPs and guidelines.
- Support the application of INSO global policy in areas including HR, finance and operations.
- Exemplary command of French (written and spoken), good working knowledge of English.
- Graduate level education or equivalent work experience.
- Significant experience in insecure/conflict-affected environments with progressive seniority.
- Proven writing, editing, and analytical skills and a keen eye for detail – the position entails substantial report editing and reviewing.
- Acceptance and strong understanding of humanitarian principles.
- Demonstrable understanding of humanitarian safety practices and their application.
- Mature leadership and staff management experience in a diverse multi-cultural setting.
- Excellent networking, diplomatic, and representative communication skills.
- A year’s experience working in Mali with demonstrable understanding of the context.
- Experience in staff capacity development and training.
- Experience with NGO project management, including donor reporting and relations.
- First-hand experience of crisis management.
- Existing information networks and/or local language skills.
- Detailed understanding of INSO mandate & services.
Key Personal Competencies
- Good listener
- Effective communicator
- Excellent analyst
- Team player
- Excellent interpersonal skills
INSO’s Safeguarding Policy:
INSO is fully committed to safe recruitment, selection and vetting of all potential new staff, trustees and volunteers and we will ensure rigorous compliance with our Code of Conduct and Safeguarding policy throughout the recruitment process.
Terms & Conditions: 12-month contract, €5,000 per month salary, 4 calendar days annual leave per month and 7 days of R&R every 3 months with €1250 R&R allowance each cycle, global medical coverage (excluding USA) and AD&D insurance.
How to apply:
Interested applicants are requested to send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference “Deputy Director” in the subject line of the email:
- Cover Letter specifying how you meet the mandatory requirements, your motivation for applying, and what you hope to bring to INSO Mali (2 pages max).
- Updated CV (5 pages max).
- One relevant and substantive writing sample in French that demonstrates your analytical and report writing abilities (10-page max, for internal candidates a longer analytical INSO report for which you are the sole author will be accepted).
Please do not send any additional information. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Tell us a little about yourself
Information provided in this form will only be used to understand our audience and improve our website.