Country Director – Yemen
Founded in 2011, the International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) is an international non-governmental organisation that supports humanitarian aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts. INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services, including real-time incident tracking, analytical reports, safety-related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff orientations and training.
INSO provides daily support to more than 1000 NGOs operating in 16 of the world’s most insecure countries.
INSO is headquartered in The Hague, the Netherlands – the international city of peace and justice.
INSO in Yemen
In 2022, INSO initiated operations in Yemen in partnership with donors and NGO partners and will open a country program in October 2023. INSO plans to establish its services in the country based in Aden. We are now searching for a Country Director to guide the final stages of deploying INSO in country and oversee the country program once established.
As Country Director, you will finalize set-up of the program and manage it once it is fully functional. This will involve recruitment of key staff and providing strategic direction for the program in collaboration with headquarters. Having established the Aden office, you will be in a position to guide the expansion to regional offices.
Start-up Phase (3 months)
- Prepare the internal strategy document in collaboration with the Regional Director.
- Communicate with NGO partners, UN agencies and other stakeholders to establish lasting relationships.
- Draft and implement a security management protocol.
- Recruit and hire the country management team.
- Oversee and guide initial facilities set-up.
- Liaise with relevant authorities to ensure transparency on INSO activities and buy-in on activities.
- Effectively represent and protect INSO’s principles and actively promote INSO as an integral member of the humanitarian community.
- Represent INSO towards senior humanitarian leadership on issues affecting humanitarian access and safety.
Country Office Management (post-set-up)
Following the start-up phase, you will be responsible for leading, managing and directing the ongoing program implementation.
Program strategy and management
- Hire and manage the Country Office team including direct supervision of senior management and general oversight of the program, operations, and finance teams.
- Provide dedicated, effective leadership across the program and ensure cohesion across all functions.
- Develop overall strategy and deliver annual program planning.
- Steward INSO resources effectively and transparently in compliance with internal and donor policies.
- Liaise with Regional Director and HQ technical referents of each department.
- Responsible for the safety and security of the staff, program and assets.
Representation and synergies
- Maintain and build the reputation of the organisation.
- Effectively represent and protect INSO’s principles of independence, impartiality and neutrality.
- Maintain donor engagement and actively track country-specific funding opportunities.
- Ensure compliance with donor regulations and requirements and produce high-quality, compelling donor proposals and reports that underscore INSO’s impact.
- Engage with third parties to introduce INSO practically to stakeholders.
- Participate in external coordination activities related to safety and security coordination and access.
Program support and monitoring
- Oversee the overall initiation and delivery of INSO services, ensure that program targets and objectives are met and quality is maintained.
- Deliver strategic analysis to senior humanitarian leadership.
- Lead crisis management support to NGO partners during critical incidents.
- Master’s Degree-level of education or equivalent work experience in a relevant field.
- Fluency in English.
- 3 years of relevant work experience as an NGO Country Director or equivalent; start-up experience desired.
- Experience with management of multi-donor projects; knowledge of donor policies and procedures.
- Experience with budget management, monitoring, donor liaison and reporting.
- Proven analytical skills.
- Solid understanding of principles and practices in broad humanitarian action, NGO safety and risk management, humanitarian access, and civil-military coordination.
- Excellent networking, diplomatic, and representative communication skills.
Nice to Have:
- Recent experience or sound knowledge of Yemen.
- Working knowledge of Arabic would be an asset.
- Detailed understanding of INSO mandate and services.
- Previous INSO experience (as a team member, member of INSO’s country advisory board or as a beneficiary).
- Ability to identify issues and find a resolution.
- Excellent communication, organizational and managerial skills.
- Strong work ethic and capacity to take responsibility for your actions.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Confidentiality, integrity and an ability to sense conflicts of interest.
Terms & Conditions: Initial 3 months contract, 4 calendar days annual leave per month, global medical coverage (excluding USA), $200,000 AD&D coverage. This contract may be extended if the registration is successful.
INSO’s Safeguarding Policy
INSO is fully committed to safe recruitment, selection and vetting of all potential new staff, trustees and volunteers and we will ensure rigorous compliance with our Code of Conduct and Safeguarding policy throughout the recruitment process.
How to Apply
Please send the following to email@example.com and reference “CD Yemen” in the subject line of the email.
- Cover Letter specifying how you meet the mandatory requirements, any preferred characteristics, your motivation for applying and what you hope to bring to INSO.
- Updated CV.
- One relevant and substantive writing sample in English that demonstrates your analytical and report writing abilities (10 page max).
Please do not send any additional information. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Tell us a little about yourself
Information provided in this form will only be used to understand our audience and improve our website.