Country Director – Haiti
Founded in 2011, the International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) is an international non-governmental organisation that supports humanitarian aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts. INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services, including real-time incident tracking, analytical reports, safety-related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff orientations and training.
INSO provides daily support to more than 1000 NGOs operating in 14 of the world’s most insecure countries.
INSO is registered in the Netherlands with its headquarters based in The Hague, the international city of peace and justice.
INSO conducted scoping missions to Haiti after receiving requests from the NGO community. It was determined that a safety platform was necessary due to safety and access constraints resulting from recurrent cycles of natural disasters, political instability and violent criminality. While Covid has delayed the start, we are now in the process of launching INSO Haiti.
The Country Director leads, manages and directs program implementation. They possess solid program and human resources management skills and are a natural and confident communicator, consensus-builder and networker. Successful candidates will combine keen intellect and analytical skills with pragmatism, patience and a good sense of humor. They will enjoy the challenge of translating strategic concepts into workable practices in difficult environments. Ideal candidates will come from an NGO/humanitarian background (senior management and programs), will be accomplished analysts and managers and are not required to have military/police backgrounds.
Program Leadership and Management
- Provide engaged, effective leadership across the program, ensuring that INSO Haiti performs well across all functions – program delivery, finance, operations, HR – and in compliance with INSO internal policies and protocols.
- Develop and deliver annual program planning, aligning program development strategy with realistic assumptions of future funding.
- Manage INSO Haiti donor relations and produce high-quality, compelling proposals and progress reports that underscore our impact.
- Line manage the leads of programs, finance and ops support teams.
- Promote and exemplify a culture of openness and collaboration.
- Develop and maintain a nuanced personal understanding of the Haiti context and the prevailing challenges to humanitarian safety and access.
- Supervise all INSO Haiti service delivery, ensuring that program targets are met, quality is maintained and that services remain relevant and responsive to the evolving context and needs of NGO partners.
- Deliver strategic analysis to senior humanitarian leadership, including through monthly directors’ briefings, quarterly analytical reports and as needed on request.
- Lead crisis management support to NGO partners during critical incidents.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and French.
- Previous experience as an NGO Country Director or senior Program Manager, preferably in Haiti or the Latin America-Caribbean region.
- Solid understanding of principles and practices in broad humanitarian action
- Master’s Degree-level of education or equivalent work experience
- Minimum 3 years in conflict affected contexts.
- Minimum 3 years in an NGO senior management role
- Proven analytical skills and experience producing and editing analytical products
- Experience with grant management, donor proposals and reporting.
- Excellent networking, diplomatic and representative communication skills.
- Recent experience in Haiti or a similar context
- Previous INSO experience (as a team member, member of INSO’s country advisory board or beneficiary).
- Previous experience in country office set-up
- Direct experience and involvement in a crisis management role.
- Existing local information networks and contacts.
- Experience and interest in data management and analytics
Key Personal Competencies:
- A people manager
- Calm in stressful situations
- A good listener
- An effective communicator
- Team player
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent analytical skills
INSO’s Safeguarding Policy
INSO is fully committed to safe recruitment, selection and vetting of all potential new staff, trustees and volunteers and we will ensure rigorous compliance with our Code of Conduct and Safeguarding policy throughout the recruitment process.
Terms & Conditions:
12-month renewable contract. €5,500 per month salary, 4 calendar days annual leave per month and 7 days of R&R every 2 months with a €1250 R&R allowance each cycle, global medical coverage (excluding USA), AD&D coverage.
How to apply:
Interested applicants are requested to :
- fill out this short questionnaire online here = https://forms.office.com/r/4svTXiw13q
- then send the below documents to email@example.com and reference “CD Haiti” in the subject line of the email.
- a Cover Letter specifying how you meet the mandatory requirements, your motivation for applying, and what you hope to bring to INSO (2 pages max).
- an updated CV (5 pages max).
- one relevant and substantive writing sample, which demonstrates your analytical and reporting abilities (10 pages max).
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please do not send any additional information (diplomas, other writing samples, etc.).
Tell us a little about yourself
Information provided in this form will only be used to understand our audience and improve our website.