Founded in 2011, the International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) is a British charity that supports the safety of aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts. INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services including real-time incident tracking, analytical reports, safety related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff orientations and training.
INSO services help NGOs with their day-to-day risk management responsibilities and improve their overall situational awareness to support evidence-based humanitarian access decisions.
The Organisation has grown from innovative start-up to become a globally recognised charity and a valuable component of the humanitarian safety coordination system.
Today the Organisation provides daily support to more than 850 NGOs in twelve of the world’s most insecure countries and has earned a strong reputation for performance, principles and professionalism.
INSO Mali Country Office
INSO Mali has been operating since 2013 and launched full services in 2014, with a coordination office in Bamako, and operational offices in Gao and Mopti- Sevare. INSO Burkina Faso is now in its opening phase, with a new office to be opened in Dori. Operations in Burkina Faso will be under the supervision and in a joint programme with INSO Mali, to propose a regional response to the Sahel Crisis.
We are seeking an experienced individual to join our team as INSO Regional Analyst (RA) to be based in Bamako (Mali) with regular trips to field offices in Mali and Burkina Faso, with occasional travels to neighboring countries (Niger, Chad in particular) if required.
Based in Bamako, the main objective of the Regional Analyst is to complement and enhance the strategic decision-making of NGOs conducting humanitarian operations in Mali and Burkina Faso Considering the complex and challenging operational environment presented by this transnational conflict, the Regional Analyst will be responsible for examining the multi-faceted interplay and impact of local, national and regional dynamics across Mali, Burkina Faso and the wider Sahel region.
By producing and contributing to senior management briefings, analytical reports and thematic research that utilise INSO’s unique information and resources to assess geo-political, security and socio-economic trends, the position aims to effectively implement INSO’s mission and mandate in providing its partners with comprehensive analysis and advice on humanitarian safety and access. By producing and contributing to senior management briefings, analytical reports and thematic research that utilise INSO’s unique information and resources to assess geo-political, security and socio-economic trends, the position aims to effectively implement INSO’s mission and mandate in providing its partners with comprehensive analysis and advice on humanitarian safety and access.
The Regional Analyst reports to, and is the responsibility of, the Country Director in Bamako. For technical supervision and quality assurance, the Regional Analyst falls under INSO’s Chief Analyst, who is based in the Operational Support Office.
· Monitor, collate and verify contextual developments from a diverse range of information, such as NGOs, the UN, civil society organisations, research institutes and media sources.
· Identify, cultivate and maintain an active network of contacts within the broader humanitarian community as well as other relevant stakeholders for information sharing, analytical exchanges, relationship building and operational coordination.
· Prepare and produce a Monthly Trend Analysis that assists NGO partners by monitoring and assessing prevalent conflict dynamics and their impact on humanitarian safety and access.
· Provide and present a monthly Regional Analysis Briefing to NGO senior management to inform programmatic decision-making, operational modalities and contingency plans.
· Conduct and manage in-depth research studies on common or recurring challenges to humanitarian delivery using a combination of qualitative and quantitative methods.
· Ensure and reinforce the continuity and consistency between INSO’s consolidated internal data and externally distributed analytical products.
· Convene and participate in NGO coordination meetings and fora with humanitarian counterparts to discuss strategic and operational solutions to issues pertaining to humanitarian safety and access.
· Liaise and coordinate with INSO’s Chief Analyst for initiatives related to ensuring analytical quality assurance and standards in-country, designing and disseminating in-depth studies, contributing to global reports as well as improving internal and external capacity through analytical training.
· Effectively represent and protect INSO’s principles of independence, impartiality and neutrality as well as actively promoting INSO as an integral member of the humanitarian community.
· Strategy Development. Contribute to the definition and application of INSO’s country strategy, providing analysis and advice for programmatic plans, products and practice.
· Programme Support. Assist the programme team in the delivery of products and services if required by the Country Director.
· Crisis Management. Offer support to enhance the preparedness or response of INSO and its partners in the event of an emergency.
The position and duties of this post require a great degree of flexibility and adaptation. Hence, within reasonable limits, the Regional Analyst might be required to carry out tasks that may not be explicitly detailed in this job description but are aligned with INSO principles and mandate.
· Fluency in French (written and spoken).
· Masters degree in political, conflict, security or humanitarian studies.
· Relevant experience working in NGOs, international organisations, think-tanks, research consultancies or journalism.
· Minimum 3 years’ experience working in and on insecure/post-conflict environments, preferably in an analytical capacity.
· Excellent writing and analytical skills.
· Ability to work independently to tight deadlines in difficult conditions.
· Demonstrable understanding of safety discourses and dynamics as they relate to NGO operations and humanitarian coordination mechanisms.
· Fluency in English (written and spoken).
· Pre-existing and recent professional experience, contextual knowledge, information networks and/or local languages in the Sahel region, specifically Mali and/or Burkina Faso.
· Strong comprehension and training in conflict analysis, conflict sensitivity and/or do no harm.
· Strategic commitment to innovatively incorporate and systematise analytical thinking into humanitarian projects, operations and programmes.
· Technical proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher and PowerPoint.
· Basic GIS skills.
Key Personal Competencies
· Conceptual, critical and creative thinking
· Managing and solving complex problems
· Effective communication and interpersonal skills
· Organised and diligent work ethic
· Empowering and inclusive team player
· Cultural and situational sensitivity
· Principled and consummate professional
Terms & Conditions: 12-month contract with expected start date of 1st March 2019, €4,550 per month salary, 4 days annual leave per month and 3 days of R&R every 3 months, housing, global medical coverage and AD&D coverage.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants are requested to send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org before 30 November 2018 with reference “INSO Regional Analyst – Mali-Burkina Faso” in the subject line of the email. The application must include:
Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Applicants are screened on a rolling basis.