Human Resources Manager (Generalist)
Based in The Hague, Netherlands
Closing: 1 March 2021
Founded in 2011, the International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) is an international charity that supports the safety of aid workers.
We provide registered NGOs with a range of free services including real-time incident tracking, analytical reports, safety related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff orientations and training. Our services help NGOs with their day-to-day risk management responsibilities and improve their overall situational awareness to support evidence-based humanitarian access decisions.
Today the organisation has more than 1000 employees based across 14 of the world’s most insecure countries and has earned a strong reputation for performance, principles & professionalism.
INSO has relocated its Headquarters to The Hague and is building an HQ team to take the organisation forward. As part of this process, INSO is seeking to strengthen its Human Resources Department in The Hague and is looking for an experienced professional to fill the role of Generalist HR Manager with a focus on compensation & benefits (C&B).
The HR Manager (Generalist) is a newly created post and will act as one of two senior managers within INSO’s HR Department. Reporting to the HR Director, the position will be responsible for overseeing the successful delivery of the full spectrum of strategic and transactional tasks concerning Compensation and Benefits and generalist HR support within INSO. In particular the incumbent will be responsible for the following deliverables:
Compensation and Benefits
* Lead INSO’s overall compensation and benefits (C&B) strategy, drafting and refining suitable C&B policies, procedures and standards and working with senior management and INSO country offices to maintain and improve C&B frameworks for all staff;
* Undertake regular evaluations of INSO’s C&B policies to ensure they are current, competitive and in compliance with legal requirements and where necessary suggest modifications to such;
* Advise and inform the HR Director and other members of the INSO senior management team on questions about INSO’s statutory compliance with local employment legislation in the Netherlands and across INSO’s global portfolio concerning compensation and benefits;
* Prepare and distribute relevant and timely information to employees concerning changes to INSO’s benefits, compensation and personnel policies and act as focal point and mediator in C&B areas with INSO employees and job candidates by responding to compensation, benefits, staff mobility and other related queries and suggestions;
* In cooperation with third party providers, oversee the efficient and timely execution of INSO’s internal monthly payroll for HQ and all expatriate staff, including the effective management and administration of payroll and all associated tax, pension and social security/insurance processes;
* Advise INSO country offices on the application of correct procedures concerning local staff payroll and application of benefits and advise on the development of appropriate C&B structures for local staff;
* Ensure the efficient execution of all contractual compensation events for staff, for example the application of longevity pay, in a timely and effective manner;
* Maintain and develop INSO’s salary scale and compensation tables and act as secretary of INSO’s compensation committee;
* Undertake regular compensation surveys; perform independent analysis of internal and external benchmarking data to support compensation decisions and investigate and communicate compensation best practice to senior management;
* Maintain accurate and up-to-date records and compile statistical reports and design appropriate management information and metrics concerning C&B and other related HR data;
* Ensure the monthly insurance premium calculations and preparation of relevant journal entries for INSO staff health & accidental death and disability insurance coverage;
* Act as INSO’s main point of contact with insurance providers, negotiating renewals, acting as the conduit for technical queries concerning policy coverage and premiums and ensuring value for money for INSO.
HR Generalist Responsibilities
* Act as an HR Business Partner to Directors and line managers in the provision of advice and support across the range of HR activities including employee relations, Induction, learning and development, contracting, absence management, HR records.
* Project manage the implementation of an organisation-wide HRIS (including personnel records, employee self-service functions and compensation events or changes to benefits);
* In conjunction with the HR Manager (Recruitment), support resourcing activities as required
* In conjunction with the HR Director, establish and regularly report on key internal C&B and other relevant HR performance metrics to measure accomplishments and progress.
* Oversee monthly timesheet processing for HQ staff;
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate:
o 5 or more years’ in generalist HR positions and/or compensation experience;
o Good working knowledge of reward, compensation and benefits systems;
o Knowledge and experience of Dutch employment law and social security obligations from an employer’s perspective;
o Experience in international HR context
o Strong analytical, mathematical, and data/information management skills;
o Proven consulting skills; ability to drive organisational goals through HR/compensation strategies and to creatively address issues and devise solutions to problems;
o Ability to work collaboratively and to cultivate and sustain strong partnerships with internal and external stakeholders and colleagues;
o Strong planning and project management skills;
o Ability to drive and sustain operational excellence and to develop controls;
o Desire to work in a fast-paced, constantly evolving environment; ability to work well under pressure and to manage multiple priorities;
o Fluent spoken and written English language skills.
Nice to Have
o Formal HR qualification such as CIPD or similar;
o Knowledge of other languages, particularly French, Arabic or Dutch, would also be very helpful;
o Prior experience in the humanitarian sector,
o Experience with an international NGO;
o Familiarity with INSO’s vision, mission and values.
INSO’s Safeguarding Policy
INSO is fully committed to safe recruitment, selection and vetting of all potential new staff, trustees and volunteers and we will ensure rigorous compliance with our Code of Conduct and Safeguarding policy throughout the recruitment process. As such, the following safe recruitment practices will be applied:
* All offers of employment will be conditional on receiving at least two satisfactory professional references.
* INSO will ask candidates about significant gaps in employment history or frequent changes of employer and address.
* All essential qualifications and relevant professional accreditations and memberships will be verified.
* The successful candidate will be required to provide a valid proof of identity (passport, ID card).
* All new hires will receive an orientation in INSO’s safeguarding policy and procedures and associated documents (Code of Conduct, Whistleblowing etc.).
* All new hires will be required to sign and abide by the Code of Conduct as a condition of employment.
Terms & Conditions
Fixed-term (renewable) full-time contract based in The Hague, Netherlands, €5,500 per month, 8% vacation pay (vakentiegeld), 2.5 days annual leave per month. The post is eligible for a Highly Skilled Migrant visa sponsorship.
How to apply
Interested applicants are requested to send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference “HR Manager” in the subject line of the email. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
* An up-to-date CV (2 page maximum).
* A cover letter explaining your motivation and interest in the position. Please explain how you meet the minimum requirements of the role.
Please do not send any additional information (such as copies of certificates, copies of diplomas, other writing samples, etc.) and keep the total size of your application under 8MB if possible.